Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: upstream performance

I'm no expert on reverse issues but I have been with my company for a year and we have internet service on our two way plant. There were lots of internet issues when I started here. That was mostly because the system had some serious balanceing issues. Once I ballanced out the return path I have not had that many problems at all (knock on wood). One thing I had to do was train my installers to make sure the modems were working within there signal ranges.

A couple months back we did have a couple noise problems and we had to trace them by process of elimination. I used the spectrum analyzer to trace the problems out in to the field from the head end looking at the noise floor. One turned out to be a bad reverse board in a Jerrold amp (starline reverse sucks). The other was traces to a RV park and we just put return trap on the line that fed the whole park.

The only tool other then the Wavetek 2-way meter we have for internet problems is a website called C-Maps. I think that site is just for the company we use (Zcorum) for our internet support though. It lets you see what the upstream and downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are for the individual modems. It also shows what the min / max levels have been on a particular modem over a given time period.
This is CABL.com posting #163107. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQAV
Posted in reply to: upstream performance by mt30ys
There are 0 replies to this message