Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Help moving up the ladder

Just like some of you cabledawgs, I too have climbed the ladder only to find that the higher you go the rungs get farther apart. I have been a contractor, tech lead tech, plant manager, project manager, general manager and corporate engineer. Now I am back to contracting, and it has been the happiest 3 years of my life. The higher up you go, the more hours you put in, the more stress you get, and more you get chewed on for your responsibilities-most of which you have very little control over. Also, the higher up you go, the less of a life you have. Meaning the cell phone never gets turned off, and it rings all hours of the night. And weekends and vacations, you can forget them. True managers have to "stay in contact" with everything going on, even if you are vacationing on a beach.
All the years I put in on the ops side helped me to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge. And for that I am very thankful. I am not Cable Jesus but after all those years in the trenches it is amazing exactly how much more I have learned then most. That is what makes me more valued as a contractor.
My advise would be to stick with where you can learn, make every single contact you can, never throw away a good cabledawgs number, and under no circumstance burn a bridge no matter what kind of an idiot you are working for or with.
Today I own my own company, and I put in 80-100 hours a week. But it is a lot more enjoyable doing that and making myself the money rather doing all that to make someone that does not even know my rich.
Good Luck!!!
This is CABL.com posting #162315. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQn9
Posted in reply to: Re: Help moving up the ladder by crawl2much
There are 0 replies to this message