Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: shut up already

I think we agree. First, I'm a young 'un. Born in '72, so I wasn't really comprehending the oil shortage of the 70s when it happened. However, I know enough about it to "get it". I'm pretty sure we both agree it's about oil and has been for a LONG time. So...everybody that blasts Bush for having oil companies in his back pocket needs to realize that like you said...bargaining for oil is nothing new. Before anybody goes off, I'm not a Bush apologist. Not really even a Bush fan. I have plenty of issues with him. My point was that the US has built relationships with Middle Eastern countries because, until we do the things like you said and become less dependent on it, we need the oil. They don't bring much else to the table, unless we're running short on sand. As far as what's made from a barrel of petroleum, almost 1/2 of it is used for gas.
From the Energy Information Administration website:
There are many ways that petroleum (oil) is used. Oil is refined into useable petroleum products . Most of the petroleum products are used to produce energy. Other products made from petroleum include: ink, crayons, bubble gum, dishwashing liquids, deodorant, eyeglasses, records, tires, ammonia, and heart valves. From a barrel of oil (42 gallons), 47% is refined to gasoline for use in automobiles (yielding 19.9 gallons of gas), 23% is refined to heating oil and diesel fuel, 18% is refined to other products, which includes petrochemical feedstock such as polypropylene, 4% is refined to propane, 10% is refined to jet fuel, and 3% is refined to asphalt. (Percentages sum to over 100 because there is approximately a 5% processing gain in refining.)
This is CABL.com posting #162279. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQnz
Posted in reply to: Re: shut up already by x Greasemonkey
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: shut up already x Greasemonkey 2/25/2006 6:14:00 PM