Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Getting cheezed by the customer

If/when you go to the DA office , they will appreciate as much paper work ( possible legal binding documents ) as possible. Hopefully, you carry some of your own blank Work Orders/ Bid-Proposals for Work in the truck with you. ( you can find them at Staple's , Office Depot , maybe even Walmart ) Anything beyond the scope of your Original Work Order should be discussed with your customer, written down, and signed prior to begin of work.Include the Terms of Agreement, and be very specific about payment. ( Cash discount, finance charges over x number days,and recovery charges for ISF/cancelled checks, as well as possible legal fees incurred. )
This has been my experience in some states :
1. present check to bank
2. recieve bad check, ( keep envelope, make copy both sides of check ), possibly notify customer ( but not required )
3. re-present check to bank ( in-person, they will stamp it and return if no good ) Make second set of copies ( both sides )
4. notify customer in writing ( second biling ), including warning of bad check
5. send invoice/statement of account 30/60/90 days from date of first legal document. ( if they signed the paper work on completion of work, that is the day the 30/60/90 day calender begins ) ( if not, it will be the post-marked envelope from the bank in 2. ) Keep a copy of invoice ( notirized, if poss. ) Send the invoice/statements Return Receipt Requested .
6. keep any Return Receipts / returned mail from the customer's address.
7. If you are still unsuccessfull at the end of 90 calender days, procede directly to DA, Small Claims , Local Magistrate / and even in some states simply the State Patrol / County Sherriff . ( check your local law to determine proper authority ) ( In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, for example, with those documents I described, they will procede to arrest the individual ) even without court. [ Learn the local laws ]
8. In almost all cases, if you have followed this procedure, and acquired the legal documents necessary by providing a paper trail, you have already argued and won your case. ( In other words, you have done the DA's work for him ), and he will carry out the remaining extent of the law.
9. Collecting is a whole nother ball game.
It is extremely difficult to trust customers nowadays.I was brought up where a handshake was good enough. Boy, was I burned. Majority of citizens today are over extended, and living way past thier means. I have actually overheard people bragging to thier friends about some of these tricks they play ( cancelling checks just about tops the list ), to get stuff for nothing.
I am small time , but have non-payment losses over 1/4 M. Most of that occurred in under the last 5 years. Let's start a club. We can get together over some Steak/Lobster and exchange war stories. You can even join at minus 100K. How about a little cheeze with that whine ???(nod)(biggrin)(wave)(rolleyes)(bigcry)(deal)
This is CABL.com posting #161892. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQhk
Posted in reply to: Re: Getting cheezed by the customer by SCcabledude
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Getting cheezed by the customer oldschooldbstech 2/19/2006 3:48:00 PM