Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

I applaude your well constructed post and agree with much of it's content. There are situations in which a union can do more harm than good. I don't think it should be a requirement that you be a union member to get a job someplace.

In the SE the wages are lower but then so are the cost of living. As more people move to that region the cost will increase, hopefully the wages will also.

In the case of the HSP I worked for they were not increasing wages but reducing the wages. They went from an all piece rate POV tech staff to a majority hourly rate COV staff. They took techs who were making an average of $25-30 per hour (using their own vehicles & tools) gave them new company trucks (filled with cheap Chinese made tools) and paid the techs $10-$13 per hour. If a tech did three- three outlet installs a day made $330, and his vehicle expenses (fuel, insurance & loan payments) constituted maybe $30-40 of that. After the changes the techs got paid $80-104 for doing the same three- three outlet installs and the company covered the vehicle operating costs. The negative effects of these changes really upset the lives of the techs and their families.

Any techs who are facing similar cuts or major changes might want to look into unionizing. If things are going good where you are don't, as they say upset the applecart, but if storm clouds are on the horizon, investigate all the avenues and weigh all the options so you can make an informed decision.
This is CABL.com posting #161661. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQdB
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by Hybrid.PC
There are 0 replies to this message