Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

#1 I didnt start this. #2 I dint care for all this name calling myself, you never see me take part in it, nor do I endorse it. But thats me. Some people do it, its up to them. Are you saying I have control over other peoples actions. C'mon dude, get real!! #3 WHat forums have I been asked to leave. Go ahead,tell everyone. The only reason my name changed in one other forum is because of a glitch. And even then I let it be know who I was. Most already knew.

But to answer your question about union membership, its declining. And with its decline has come a decline in wages for the average JOe. With that said I must tell you there are numerous NEUTRAL studies that explain this decline. Fear. A very large percentage of employees surveyed about union membership say they would like to join, but dont because of fear their employer will do something negative. A good example of this is whats happening at the old AT&T wireless, which is now Cingular.

Workers at AT&T wireless wanted to organize. Elections were held and the union was not voted in. AT&T wireless was accused of using scare tactics to keep workers from voting yes. Then Cingular buys AT&T wireless. Cingular has a consent and neutrality agreement with CWA. In this agreement, the company agrees to stay neutral and let their workers vote. I think the purchase happend 1 year ago. Well in this time former AT&T wireless workers are signing Cards like crazy. I think the number is close to 10,000. In one year. Now these are the same workers, same work locations, but different enviroment to vote in. Unfortunately, it takes a consent and neutrality agreement to win union representation these days.

This is why the legislation Employee Free Choice Act is being introduced in Congress. Last year this legislation got over 200 co-sponsers in the house. It is expected to be passed into law this year I believe. This bill has harsher penalties for employers who violate the NLRA. It also calls for federal mediation on first contracts since one of the things companies would do after the workers vote in unions, is stall. I mean stall for years. This bill is expected to play major role in eliminating company scare tactics which as I said seems to be the biggest reason for membership decline.
This is CABL.com posting #161460. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQam
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by warrenrf
There are 0 replies to this message