Create your free account now! Sign up

A National Cable & Satellite Day

OK People, Here's one for ya. How about a National Cable & Satellite Day. A day for ALL people involved in the cable and satellite industry to have a day of recognition for the hard work and services that they do for the general public. A day of informational newspaper and tv spots that give credit where it is deserved. To all of us that without the services we provide, many people in this great country of ours wouldn't be able to watch their favorite programs. For the big companies like the cable providers and satellite providers to take notice that without us, they wouldn't have their paychecks every week.

I see on this site all of the gripes and moans of people who feel that they aren't treated fairly, under paid and over worked. I myself as one, Don't unionize, organize. We provide a service to the suits of the companies that we contract to don't have an idea of what to do.

If everyone would get together and say enough is enough, The companies would have to take notice. If they want quality work, They have to pay for it.

I've been in this business for almost 25 years, and have done everything from pole make-ready, to strand, to splicing, to installs, of both cable and satellite. When I started the going rate for a satellite install was $125.00 for a single and $50.00 each additional. For line work, you could make around $250.00 at piece rates and not bust your B***s. A good living for those that gave a damn.

Now days, every kid and his brother that can pick up a dewalt and pull the trigger think that they are experienced. The big companies will hire them and deal with the results afterward.

If you think about it. We as the ones that provide the service control the industry. Without us, There would be nothing. Can you picture a man in a suit, hanging from hooks, working on a pole for 8-10 hours a day. It would be a funny picture, wouldn't it.

So I say this, Let's organize ourselves and show show these big companies that we're mad as Hell and are not gonna take their Crap anymore.

Is 1 day a year gonna put such a big dent in their pocket that it will hurt. Probably not, but it will make take notice of us.

This is just my opinion on this matter. I think that alot of us feel the same way.

I'd like to hear what all you out there think.

Thanks, WOLF(usa)
This is CABL.com posting #161258. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mP66
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: A National Cable & Satellite Day vwgolfgirl 2/11/2006 8:19:00 PM
Re: A National Cable & Satellite Day crawl2much 2/11/2006 5:25:00 PM