Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Why is this the way it is??

No, this isn't a good career IMO.
If your company is supplying the tools and trucks, I doubt they pay very well.

Also beware of people claiming to make good money, I seen a couple people that tell you what they gross, but what they net could be drastically less.

This is a declining market, there will be a couple hardcore guys/ girls that will disagree with me, but the only way to make money is to be a subcontractor, and then you don't have any medical, so if you fall off a ladder and break your leg, you will more then likely lose everything you own before you can start working again.

I'm all about working hard, and I don't shy away from long hours and quality work.
But this is for the seriously hardcore "I been doing this all my life and know nothing else in this world" people, or the" I'm going to hack this **** out so I can make ends meet" people.
And I was neither.

There is a reason for such the drastic split of people in this market.
The market sucks ass, and there are people that know this and suffer through it because they invested a ton of money into a false dream and can't get out.

Then there is the people who will work themselves to death to make a point, but fail to realize that if they put that much effort into any other field, they would make 2,3,4 times as much. But pride is way more important then money to them.

And there is more money in the big cities, but most techs I know have to live way out in the sticks, or have multiple roommates to afford a decent house in the suburbs.

So unless cables, satellites and F connectors really turn you on, I say save yourself the trouble and go to school for graphic design or something.

Of course this is coming from someone that thinks he should be able to have a decent house in the suburbs, and make a livable wage for a family of four with a little extra income.

If you think that is selfish, you just might make it as a cable/sat tech.
This is CABL.com posting #160182. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPPK
Posted in reply to: Re: Why is this the way it is?? by shrekfx
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Why is this the way it is?? Trey9007 1/27/2006 2:50:00 AM
Re: Why is this the way it is?? matthewj888 1/26/2006 7:49:00 PM