Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Who should I be sub'n for?

If you are looking at 10 years i think that is extremely likely you would regret staying in cable installs, as im sure you hear so many people say in the shop that they regret it. I would look in your classifieds for electrician helper/apprentice beginner work. Here in Tucson you could start anywhere from $10- $15 an hour, and work your way up to around $30. The smaller companies here generally dont take care of their employees, dont want them trained ,much like cable companies they do not want you to have the capacity to move on , your install manager wants you stuck exactly where you are) Some of the larger companies treat you very well and offer benefits like 50% tuition reimbursement, med, dental, etc. etc. If you can get a position around say $12 starting, with the hours you work doing installs, you will be making the 4 digits a week you are looking for, and will have a job with a much better future and more opportunities. You will also have a much better opportunity to start your own company in the future, and "side work" ( at least for me) is much more abundant. (as an example i replaced some 50amp trailer services and made $300 a piece(cheap) after materials for about 3hrs work, quite a bit better than that occasional phone line or a.o. you run for 20 bucks) Well thats my opinion and what i would do in your position, i doubt after you are established you will ever regret leaving installs. There are times when installs may be good money, but it never lasts.
This is CABL.com posting #160049. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPNB
Posted in reply to: Re: Who should I be sub'n for? by TDD1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Who should I be sub'n for? Victor 1/25/2006 12:05:00 AM