Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: 16 Qam And 256 Qam

Hey Radio,
My system went to 256QAM/16QAM over a year ago, and there's never a day that we dont have a fire to put out.

Both modulation types put the system to the test as far as frequency response, distortions/noise problems, ingress, everything!!

My best advice is to SWEEP, SWEEP, and SWEEP some more. Pay particular attention to forward setups on the nodes and amps. Proper padding and EQ selections are crtical in keeping unity gain specs up to par. Using a test set to verify analog pix quality and digital errors at every EOL is good as well. Check the return at every amp for any problem and track it as you go, otherwise you'll be climbing that pole again next week.

Keep the CLI gear on, and record and repair everything... but remember that sources of ingress and return path noise dont always leak.

The return path HAS to be monitored for problems. We use Pathtrack, with alarm thresholds to watch for CPD, impulse noise, and CB ingress.

Be prepared to dig and repair faults in UG cables, as well as OH cable replacements... and multiple splices in any span will begin to cause issues. Hope your budget includes replacement $$$.

Mediocrity in maintenance will spell disaster. I know, I'm dealing with it in a part of my system that never had it (newly aquired), and they wonder why entire neighborhoods look like dish farms!

Good luck, and work safe..

RF
This is CABL.com posting #159476. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPEm
Posted in reply to: 16 Qam And 256 Qam by RADIO WAVE
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: 16 Qam And 256 Qam 1FARMER 1/16/2006 11:45:00 AM