Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey....what is your real name????

hey oldschooldbstech,
I got a question for ya.. maybe two or three..
First off, you mentioned Verizon and BellSouth.. Since this is a CATV site I can't help but wonder if you do CATV work for a living? If so, are you in a union or know any CATV dawgs that are union?
And also do you know of any CATV employee that makes more , because he is in a union or that recieves company bonuses while being union.. I really would like to know.. Toast

Question:
"Since this is a CATV site I can't help but wonder if you do CATV work for a living?"

Answer:
I started out doing C-band repair work. I then moved to Primestar and stayed with that until they were bought by DTV. I then went bankrupt after being ripped by a fly by night contractor got me in Bham for about 3 grand(plus some others). I then started doing Dish, all those Primestar conversions were sweet baby, $175 a smack! Then I contracted for Amerilink/ NaCom and that went smooth until Tandy had to stick their dirty stinking hands into the pie. I then, regretfully worked for Tandy's Installs dept and it was ok. I continued with Dishnetwork while doing the Tandy work. I also started doing DirecWay 2way systems about this time. Next up, Tandys installs dept goes down and the Regional Manager starts his own contractor as ECBS. I did some work for them which included Best Buy home theater and Plasma installs, until his prices shrank and I then got back to working for BS as before. They were who I did Prime* for and now they had an opening doing DirecTV. They weren't that bad to begin with but once the madatory employee policy was implemented it all went down for about 3 years. And that is almost everything.

QUESTION:
If so, are you in a union or know any CATV dawgs that are union?

ANSWER:
We have a dawg here who is a union member and speaks highly of it. The local Comcast office in my hometown was the first one to go with IBEW and they haven't been much help. This is why I went with CWA. I spoke to about Bellsouth employees and they all spoke positive of the union. They all agreed that some things they didn't like about CWA, (such as Democratic backing, even I admit that is bad) but they all agreed that their wages, benefits, quality of empoyment overall was on behalf of CWA's bargaining power. When I came down here to Pensacola after Dennis, I spoke with some Bellsouth techs. They were sent out of town from Virginia and they all claimed that they were knocking out $4000 weekly while down there.

I know I am not the only cable/sat tech who has worked beside a Bellsouth tech and discussed the biz with them, c'mon give me break. Everyone knows that the CWA has done very well for the Bellsouth techs. Now IBEW on the other hand sux for the cable industry from what I have gathered.

This is CABL.com posting #158651. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPq3
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey....what is your real name???? by Toast
There are 0 replies to this message