Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey....what is your real name????

Hey Gal, you make some interesting points. But can you tell me why you seem to deem it ok to fight tooth and nail, as you say, to protect cable workers from those who try and scam them. But you dont seem to think that cable/sat workers should have that same resolve when fighting for better wages and working conditions. Do you not feel that installers as a whole are already getting scammed?

As I have stated before, the cable and satellite business has boomed since their conceptions, but installers have seen nothing. Sure we can still make 1,000+ a week, but we have to work more hours to do it. A 40 hr work week in 1985 is now equal to 60 hr work week in 2005. But in that same time frame the business has boomed. Is this not a scam? Shouldnt it be the other way around? Cost of living and all....

You mentioned in another post about unfair union tactics. How contractors cant enter the job site. Well remember how you say you have to look at both sides of a story, let do that for a second. One of the goals of union workers is to protect the value of their trade. Now we all say we do the same, but lets look at the facts. Union workers receive wage increases, we receive wage decreases. They want to protect the value of the trade. If you are working on a union job site and are getting paid less than the prevailing wage, union workers will not work that site. Its not meant to be a shot at you, they are just trying to protect the value of their work.

Cable/sat workers are a little different. We come from an environment where protecting the value of the work we perform is not a big priority. Sure we complain about it, but we really dont do anything. Like I said before, we find a way to survive and take pride from that. Thats probably why you, and maybe some others dont understand those tactics you call unfair. Having someone on a job site or a profession accepting lower wages is a big issue with union workers. Cable/sat workers dont seem to mind it unless its foreigners working for less. Then for some reason cable/sat workers begin to make a big fuss. As much as I hate to say it, in the eyes of some unions we are seen in that light. They see what we've done to our wages, they don't want it to happen to them.

This is CABL.com posting #158555. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPpv
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey....what is your real name???? by Trey9007
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Trey....what is your real name???? kingsplize 12/30/2005 9:18:00 PM
Trey her is how I see it! oldschoolgal 12/30/2005 4:48:00 PM