Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: what would be worse?

Considering that you are asking opinions:

The flexibility of being a Contractor has its benefits. You work when you want, you don't work when you want (without pay) and you get 0 benefits. The availability to utilize the long form during tax time is always a benefit though, and incorporating yourself also helps. Vacations, sick time, and holidays without pay are definitely a loss.

I contracted for 5 years and then went to be an in-house Technician. The pay did suck as you all know. The company vehicle although always had fuel, maintenance etc. @ no cost to me. I pay no insurance for the vehicle or for myself. I pay a measly 52.00 every two weeks for medical, dental and vision for me and my wife. I pay only 20.00 every two weeks for 125,000 of life insurance for me and my wife. I actually did figure out that 1/3 of your actual salary equals your benefits. So I figure I make pretty good money, with no out of pocket expenses or headaches related to vehicle insurance, maintenance, or downtime. If my vehicle blows up, I get a new one. Being in-house for the last 5 years has actually had more advantages than being a contractor considering what is currently going on around the U.S during the era of "your either a PRIME, or your just another SUB"

I guess you really need to look at your current situation, ask yourself:

Am I a young cable dog that still wants to spend countless hours in someones attic dropping wallfishes, or do I just want to write it up and have my Supervisor send it to the Prime to get there people to inhale the fiberglass and asbestos.

Am I still a young cable dogg where I do not have a family and need benefits, because I won't get hurt,I will never die, I will live forever.

Do I now have a family and need benefits so when little Tommy gets a tooth pulled it only cost's me a 15 dollar co-pay instead of 200.00?

Am I still a young dogg who is not thinking about my retirement?

Or am I thinking about what will take place when I retire and want to cash in my 401k?

This is a great topic because as a contractor you can do all of these things by setting up accounts and putting money into the market, but do you?

As a contractor you make lots of jack no doubt, but the real question is where do you see yourself in the next 10-15 years and what are you professional goals?

Nice question sumahit......
This is CABL.com posting #158248. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPky
Posted in reply to: what would be worse? by sumahit
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: what would be worse? downlo80 12/24/2005 5:18:00 PM
Re: what would be worse? sumahit 12/24/2005 3:18:00 PM