Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Union Bad. License Good.

Oldschoolgal brought up a really good point. Companies use the factor as an excuse not to pay. "oh, your not, well, 15hr pretty good for you huh." then send you on the road to do an electrician's job for half the pay.

Skip that: Does anyone think there's and electrician who would replace an aerial drop through trees to a sub-pole, down the gable end and into the basement for $9 dollars?

good with the bad I guess.

There should be a sub- for cable, based on the National Safety Code (a little late for some of our friends) and all with proven experience in the field should be grandfathered, dependent on continuing education in their field. This is where all of the very good national certification programs for CATV,as well as field rep training could step right up to fill the gap.

Here in New England, its pretty much a 1 to 1 ratio on journeyman to apprentices. That's what the law says, but as long as they've got a ticket to pin the blame on, and somebody paid the inspection fee, they don't enforce.

We've got a Class D here, supposed to cover low voltage. Everyone 10 years ago was grandfathered, now the older folks are starting to retire and there is a major shortage for Class D licensed techs. I never new about it for the first 7 years I was working in low voltage, so that pretty much shows you what the enforcement rate is around here. But if you've got the ticket, they pay a lot more. Class D with 10 years can get 25-30 hr.

Show me a field tech in CATV who can walk into a job like that.

This is CABL.com posting #157247. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mO4p
Posted in reply to: Re: Union Bad. License Good. by oldschoolgal
There are 0 replies to this message