Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Feelings on Union

Where was the lay-off in 1999 you are referring to. It probably makes no difference because my only point was that they receive 60 days notice and not 1 or 2 days like many of their non-union counterparts. It seemed as if you were saying they came to work a couple of days before christmas and found out they were immediately going to belaid off, and I know thats not the case.

As for which union gives bonuses, none. But I know 100's of them that bargain them for their members, which is what they are supposed to do. Unions bargain for wages, not pay them.

As far as companies with union employees who use contractors, GREAT. Contractors have their place, and employees have their place. Theres enough for us all to eat. And to answer why they use them, cost effectiveness. I think everyone knows that.

As far as unions in our industry getting better wages, its there. Comcast workers in my area represented by IBEW 21 just got their 1st contract after 3 years of bargaining. They are getting retroactive pay, improved job security language in contract, and wages topping at 23/hr, and I believe their cost of living increases will be 2% a year for the life of the contract. Their non union counterparts are making 13/hr.

Im a contractor also. But I understand for the industry to be healthy, all involved have to be in sync. Can I really expect to get a decent contract if the employees are constantly getting rapped.
I'm not trying persuade you or anyone else. I just hate it when people are putting false information. Example, someone said if the union tells you to strike, you strike. Not true. Its voted on. And no union I know of will strike with less than a 90% strike vote. Then someone says unions make jobs go overseas. Unions do not make decisions like that, only the company. Now maybe this person thinks the union is asking for too much so companies leave. But does this person know that during negotiations the union uses info provided b the company to determine what is fair. Its not like they just throw figures out there and ask everyone to vote. The people who bargain see the facts in black and white and ask for a fair share for there members, which is why the members voted them there in the first place. Then they say unions don't care if you get laid -off and in the same breath say all they want is dues. Well how in the hell can you collect dues from a laid off employee who is no longer paying dues.

Again I'm not trying to change your mind. But I admit I do want to give you more factual info. I try my best to keep my personal opinion out. I just try to stick with the facts. If you don't trust me. Go to the Dept of labor and look up info. Make the comparison yourself. Then when you're done there visit NLRB.org. Look p some of the cases and see who's there fighting for the little guys. These are both government and neutral sites. So I urge you when you have some time to check it out.

Dont forget to tell me which lay-off you are talking about. I assumed since you are in Ks you were talking about the one in 2001.
This is CABL.com posting #156575. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOTz
Posted in reply to: Re: Feelings on Union by sumahit
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Feelings on Union sumahit 11/28/2005 1:04:00 AM
Re: Feelings on Union sumahit 11/28/2005 12:59:00 AM