Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: drop wire

I wouldn't usually agree with Emerger, but in this case, sorry Bro.
Leaving ANY of the braiding sticking out the bottom of a connector is a bad idea and asking for trouble, it wont leak but it WILL ingerss signal from anywhere, including eletrical ingress from other components (v.c.r.,d.v.d.,home theatre system etc.) I cant imagine that your still useing the old hex fittings and crimpers, thats the only fitting that I know of that you would have a problem with that.
THE BIG problem with leaving braiding sticking out is this,,,,ready,,,,,,here it comes,,,, moisture, yep ,rain, fog, haze, humidity. The braiding works as a "whick" (sp) just like on a candle, it will whick the moisture into the fitting between the outter part of the fitting and the outter jacket of the rg6. If the moisture stays there your fine untill the temp hits freezing, then the small amount of ice will push the coax out of the fitting creating a "suck-out" (we hate those). Usually the moisture will rear its ugly head within about 6 months of the install, when you take the fitting off there will be no center conductor, its all rust and corrosion now, and its inside your ground block, tap, switch, or L.N.B.!! Heres' my two cents, get a good prep tool (stripper) good fittings, and a good crimpper, you'll have about $50-$75 in tools, and the fitting wont cost much extra, and it will save you return trips, I know from my own experience and being a Q.C. guy for a short time. I hate admitting that I actually Q.C'd. But I was injured and its the only thing I could do for 6 weeks. Hope this helps, sorry Emerger, Late, Red(snipper)(usa)
This is CABL.com posting #155512. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOCq
Posted in reply to: drop wire by danimal
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: drop wire woodhook 11/8/2005 4:11:00 PM
Re: drop wire redrocker80 11/7/2005 8:25:00 PM