Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Fibre optic data transfer record. 1 TB/Second.

The article is a little misleading. We in the US carriers such as MCI, AEP, ACC and others own or use fiber optic cables run along power structures used as a static wire (top cable). Normally the cable is a joint manufacture between Alcoa and Fujikura know as opgw or fog cable standing for optical or fiber optic ground wire. A company I work for is running SONET systems capable of 800Gb/s with the system taking 1 rack space and the data is muxed to this rate at the A location for long haul and demuxed at the B location and vice versa for the end user's equipment to use. Fujitsu makes systems that run at 1.76Tb/s and have been available for sale since 2001. Unfortunately I have never seen a need for a system of that size meaning here in the US we have over built for capacity at this time already, which may change for the future with the large carriers merging and the price of bandwidth falling.

What interests me is what end user equipment ie computer or cpu was capable of demuxing and using 1Tb/s of data? or is this just publicity for Kansai electric to shock the public? I believe they are just a carrier that owns the fiber cable. It is possible for a DWDM system to carry at the terabit rate. The article was to short to get the answer.

We have the resources to make data rates of the terabit speed happen but the cost of bandwidth would have to decrease greatly to make it a possibility even for large companies to afford and use.

10/100 Gigabit Ethernet (gigE) run over SONET or other transport means will more than likely be what we will see in the future. With Ethernet as popular and already in use or rooted into businesses due to its low price and being so easy to manage should beat out most other networking types.
This is CABL.com posting #155199. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOxn
Posted in reply to: Fibre optic data transfer record. 1 TB/Second. by bhider1
There is 1 reply to this message