Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Looking for cable blueprints

Bobshakes,

First off, I don’t have a clue where you can find what your looking for.
I know you can buy digitized maps from many sources, for almost any place on earth, and in many different formats.
Those maps however are mainly used as base or reference, and you won’t have the system data on them that you probably need anyway.

It has only been my experience to find USGS, ArcView, and some other data maps on the net, and then you need the appropriate software application that will translate the data into something useable.
If its street (only) maps, then you’re probably looking for something like teraserver or some similar map search.

CATV and utility maps are few and far between on the net; nobody wants to offer that data freely, as most are proprietary information.

My question is, why not search for a reasonable price to have those maps digitized, and suggest that process to the manager?
Converting the maps to something like AutoCAD or MicroStation format will last forever, updating is a snap, and you can print them out in any size or pack them onto a disk or CD and send them anywhere in the world in minutes via the net.
One CD can store up to 13,000 page images, and God forbid the paper map gets worn or lost.
Running and maintaining hardcopy prints cost a small fortune! Copy cost, Mail and freight, storage, distribution, and disaster recovery is impossible with paper. Take it from someone who has been in your same situation, nothing beats getting a CD and accessing whatever map I need in a second, and zooming straight into the area I need to work on. Makes life, “A Whole Lot Easier!”

Only a suggestion, but man is it worth it.

SLJ
SLJonesSLJones Communications
This is CABL.com posting #152667. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mNSx
Posted in reply to: Looking for cable blueprints by bobshakes
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Looking for cable blueprints bobshakes 9/16/2005 11:26:00 AM