Create your free account now! Sign up

Look Before You Leap

It seems like forever since I've sat down to write here. As I watch all the graphic pictures of the displaced people and the distruction caused by Katrina, I can't help but wonder to myself ,when there will be a massive outbreak of disease . I worked New Orleans about 10 years ago. I will never forget the mosquitos there. We have some large mosquitos here on the coast in Carolina but I will never forget the ones in New Orleans. They appeared to have like brown fur on their backs, when they bite you ,you definately know you have been bitten.They swarm like clouds in some places at dark ,not a pleasent memory. One of my greatest worries with this is , what happens if an outbreak of a serious infectious disease occurs. Will we be told ? or will the goverment cover it up and we only find out after the fact. I think of all of the people going to work this storm damage and wonder to myself how many of them will update their innoculations, how many of them have a game plan if something happened to them. I think back to hurricane floyd that flooded everything around here. I recall the areial footage of all the drowned animals ,the decaying carcasses. The Neuse river was so contaminated that the fish started having sores , the water was closed to swimming, I remember a few of my friends doing boat salvage they got some nasty sores that took along time to heal. Yes I do believe possibly the worst may be yet to come. We now have a hurricane sitting just of the coast here ,it will again flood things here as it is moving so slow. The winds are no great threat at the present, it takes a strong storm to do alot of damage here as we get hit so often. The woods will be filled with mosquitos , making for an unpleasent hunting season. I guess I've rambled long enough. I just hope in writing this little piece that I cause someone to be a little better prepared before they head out to a hurricane. Here is a few more words of advice. Plan on staying in a tent, no power.Water, food, fuel will be scarce.People will sometimes steal anything you leave behind while your out working. I think of Andrew, you couldn't leave you truck unguarded anywhere. People would just walk up and steal something and just take off running with it, just unbelievable. So if your headed to work this hurricane I just can't stress enough (BE PREPARED) Hindsight is always 20/20.
"WHITFIELD"(usa)(sunny)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #152465. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mNPh
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Look Before You Leap asapNlouisiana 9/14/2005 1:10:00 AM
Re: Look Before You Leap DFW Tecs 9/13/2005 5:07:00 PM