Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Tired of generation X

Alright ol' timers here goes-

I am a gen. Xer.(28, been doing construction & splicing since 18)Right off the bat I'm on the bad side of every old school cable dog I meet because of it. Every job I get on I get that look-"F@#king kid thinks he knows it all". First off, not all of us are those punk f@#ks who think they "deserve" cable. That pisses me off just as much as the rest of you. Luckily, I was raised by a hard working man who I rarely saw because he was out working crazy hours just to feed us. Any spare time I had, as long as it didn't interfere with school, I was out working with him. Humping logs into a dump truck at 8 years old. If nothing else he instilled in me a hard-core work ethic. His favorite saying-"Any job, big or small, do it right or GO THE F@#K HOME!!!!!!!!!" I am VERY thankful for the fact that he gave me that!!!!! Everything I do, I do to best of my ability. I am also VERY competitive, which helps in this industry, because every top-hook I meet with a record, I push myself to beat it.
Secondly, and again thankfully, when I got into cable I started with an old-school dog who taught me everything "old-school". Which is what I wanted. I heard all the stories of the old days, the old dogs and how they did everything "conventional". I wanted to be that! I respected them. (keyword there) I wanted that respect as well. Also, I love to work hard, I love to sweat, and I love to push myself to the limits. That first day on the job I fell in love with cable tv!!! And as far as dues, I understand and respect them as well. I started building equipment for splicers, and then moved on to be a grunt on a line crew. I gave every inch of my ass and the only thing I expected in return was to learn. Learn from the best.
Alright, sorry, I had to vent. I get the same opinion you guy's have of us youngin's all the time and it get's old. What I'm trying to say here is, not all us "youngin's" are bucket baby, spoon fed , bitches. Which I do agree with you, there are ALOT of 'em, but keep in mind the next time you see a young guy walk on the job, see what he's got before you jump to that conclusion. You'll know as well as I do, you can tell a lineman from a whineman after the first day. Some of us respect what we do, and respect the teachers that gave us a chance to do it. That's the keyword there, "Respect". That's the seperation here, not age.
This is CABL.com posting #149729. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mM69
Posted in reply to: Re: Tired of generation X by scarecrow
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Tired of generation X lostlineman2 7/14/2005 12:49:00 PM
Re: Tired of generation X danimal 7/14/2005 7:02:00 AM
Re: Tired of generation X huntercomm 7/13/2005 9:06:00 PM
Re: Tired of generation X scarecrow 7/13/2005 8:23:00 PM