Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Advice on starting out in fiber splicing

I agree with most of what you have said. If you want to get into fiber splicing, I hope you are young and single and can live fairly cheeply for a few years. (no wife or kids to support) Then bust your ass for the journeyman splicer you are working for and learn as much as you can. The trouble now is nobody is willing to pay they're dues. They think fiber splicing is loading a machine and pushing a button. Money can be made in FTTP as long as you work for the prime, not the sub of a sub. I have been in Ft. Wayne for six weeks and my worst week has been $3900 and my best has been $8800. But you have to go after it. I am working by 7 am and knocking off at 7 pm. Then I go back to the motel and prep my terminals for the next day and hit the rack by 10. No, it's not fun, it's the way it is. Sure, I wish it was the good o'l days when you could work 40-50 hours a week and make your 10,000 but those days are gone unless some of the vendors start reading the hand writing on the wall and start wondering why they're new outside plant looks like it's 30 years old.(could it be the two week wonders that show up and say,"I are a fiber splicer?") I wish I could afford to sit at home and not work for less. As long as I can gross over 100K I'll Keep going. Those 300K years sure were nice but unfortunatly they will just have to be a fond memory.
This is CABL.com posting #149626. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mM5u
Posted in reply to: Re: Advice on starting out in fiber splicing by midwest fiber guy
There are 0 replies to this message