Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Mastec, Unions, DTV; BARRF.........

There is one thing with your post that doesn't add up. The last time I checked CWA's dues are 5 hours per month. Bellsouth employees are CWA union members (99%), with my experience in the satellite/catv field, if I were to start up with them; I would get $950 per week as a trainee. Then once I was on full-time I would be making $60K with weekend option boosting my pay upwards of $100k annually.
Now these figures seem to be much higher than a pizzeria joint. Then again, I haven't checked on a pizza job in quite a while.
The fact is the market place is over saturated with workers. This leads to lower wages, and unappreciation for experienced high quality techs. I have had enough of the "MAN" telling me that this is how it is and if you don't like it you can hit the door. So, instead of quitting or giving up, I am going to take a stand and fight for a union to come into my workplace and maybe then my coworkers and me will have a voice.
The best way for a employer to keep from having a union move into his/her company is provide an honest wage for your employees. I also do contract work for a small business, it has been suggested to me to take over operations and pay the techs 50/10 and pocket the extra 10/10 per as my manager’s fee. But, I can't do this to the other techs. If you can't pay a tech 60/20 per job you shouldn't be in operation. I myself will not work for 50/10, therefore I will not profit from others doing so.
Maybe, this is what is happening to the industry, too many managers in place who have never been under a house, or in an attic pulling cable.
The "man" upstairs (not GOD) as you stated, would love to see the underlings like myself be divided and not united. Much easier to divide and conquer, right?
This is CABL.com posting #147934. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mMEc
Posted in reply to: Re: Mastec, Unions, DTV; BARRF......... by DOGLEG3283
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Mastec, Unions, DTV; BARRF......... staashen 6/12/2005 3:41:00 PM
Re: Mastec, Unions, DTV; BARRF......... staashen 6/12/2005 3:30:00 PM
Re: Mastec, Unions, DTV; BARRF......... johngault 6/12/2005 3:25:00 PM