Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Response to stupid remark about (top money) !!!

>
>does it really make a difference? where does one draw the line as to what exactly IS experience? i've known guys that said they been in this buisness for for an eon or two, and still dont know jack. in the same respect, i've known guys that just got into the buisness and it was like THEY werethe ones working for eon's. then again, it goes the other way as well. the point is any1 can call, lie about experience, and get a price list. its when and how the work gets done as to how long the splicer will stay. but what about a guy that has 30 yrs and another 1 that has 16 yrs? should the 30yr get paid more? if the 16yr has more production, should he be on a lower scale? do you give the same scale and all the bull to the 16yr and all the gravy to the 30yr vet? rare as it may be, what about the newbie that caught right on and has no real problems, and turns out production to standards? you gonna pay him the least amount? not a good way to keep quality splicing teams. i agree, weed out the hacks, FAST!, but dont put on this power trip of "i'll tell you what your worth" right off the bat. one price, if your good your welcome to stay, if not dont be upset when i ask you to leave.
>>
>>
>>>been around since 73 - weed out the beginners if you dont want em - and i really don't on some jobs - good independants
>>>will come and don't need all the talk just the figures to make a decision so why abuse the tool that we have here - a beginner wont make any money any way until he learns or leaves
>>>if you figure what you want to make and advertize that way - most quality splicers have been abused for years in the industry not because of beginners but because of greedy people that want to make all the money and have the splicers just survive. The industry can change for splicers but only when we decide not to work until the MSO's and generals learn that it doesn't get done right unless the likes of quality splicers are on the job. Dave - if there is a stupid remark its yours not my statement - you never did answer what top money is either did you - got off point trying to cover yourself - defensive because its true!
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>MUST BE AS LITTLE AS THEY CAN GET YOU FOR BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO TALK TO YOU TO DETERMINE HOW MUCH THERE PAYING. ISN'T IT FUNNY THEY SAY THEY DON'T PUT PRICES OUT ON THE NET. OR WHAT EVER LAME BRAIN REASON THEY CAN COME UP WITH. BOTTOM LINE IS THEY WANT TO PUT THE USE CAR APPROACH ON YOU DON'T THEY. WELL BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE OR WITH MORE GUYS WE MIGHT DO BETTER OR AFTER 30 DAYS WILL SEE WHAT YOUR MADE OF ETC. ETC. ETC. . WHY NOT JUST BE HONEST AND SAY WE WANT AS MANY GREAT SPLICERS FOR THE LEAST AMOUNT POSSIBLE AND IF WE CAN GET AWAY WITHOUT PAYING YOU AT ALL WE WILL OR AT LEAST KEEP YOUR RETAINER AND ANY THING ELSE WE CAN THINK OF. I'M NOT SAYING EVERYONE 'S A RIP OFF , ONLY THAT THE TRUTH GOES A LONG WAY. FUNNY NOW A DAYS EVERYONES SO USED TO BEING RIPPED OFF THEY WON'T BELIEVE THE TRUTH ANY WAY. GUESS THE POINT IS IF COMPANIES PUT THERE PRICES ON THE BAR THE GUYS COULD MAKE LOGICAL CHOICES WITHOUT WASTING ALL THE TIME. TRUTH HURTS BUT WORKS THE BEST IN THE LONG RUN.
>>>>> You are so wrong. Must not have been in the cable business long. Posting prices is all about negotiation. Why would you be dumb enough to post your prices if you didn't know how much experience each person has that is responding to your ad wanting work. That means you would be willing to pay beginners the same as you would very experienced workers. That is what is wrong with this business. Screw-ups, backstabers, and fly-by-night workers are making the same amount of money experienced workers who have made the cable business their way of life. I don't like retainers either but, that was put into effect because of the screw-ups. Blame them. People can only believe truth when it is proven you earned it. All a worker needs are the specs to be able to price a job. Or, is everyone so lazy they don't want to do any research to figure out what jobs are paying. Make a few phone calls, make some contacts. Work together. Only associate with people who are serious about their work and provide quality work.
>>>I tend to lean towards the fact that they only want to get a number on you to bug you to death making promises that they will never keep anyway.Anyone with any brass would post a price range as well as the location(s) where they need the help.I've spent a lot of time and money chasing bad and dead leads,we learn to appreciate the 800 numbers when in search of something from the bar.I tend to use listings with an e-mail address and there are a lot of no replies as well. You want cooperation then give some, 2way street for everybody. I didn't see a stupid remark,I seen an opinion with validation! Get over it
>>
>>
>>Hey, it's not just cable tv! My wife used to manage some dental offices, every time somebody quits at one of those offices they call to see if she will come back. She has told them she would for $15/hr, they always want her to start for less but tell her "you should be up to $15/hr within a year" She started telling them to call back in a year when the price goes up. The problem with cable is they get you to truck half way across the country on a line of BS, and who wants to take a chance on the next bullshitter? As for me, I splice to spec (that is when a company can pull their heads out of their asses long enough to give me some specs!) I do the same work for 7 cents/ft as I do for 22 cents/ft. I'll go where I can make the most money; and if you don't like my work, feel free to tell me not to come back next week. No hard feelings, you can't please everyone. Personally, I have one foot out the door already. The only thing that keeps me around is the three day weekends that I manage to keep getting. And if the shit gets much deeper, I'll get back in a semi-truck and leave this business to the hacks who have to take their crap. Again, no hard feelings, it's just a little sickening hearing the same old line of crap every day from people who have no intention of carrying through.
Dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
This is CABL.com posting #14778. Tiny Link: cabl.co/md0w
Posted in reply to: Re:Response to stupid remark about (top money) !!! by feeder pig
There is 1 reply to this message