Create your free account now! Sign up

Private messages

There was a minor database corruption this afternoon. Everything was restored to normal except private messages. No messages were lost, but all of the Recipients (who the message was sent to) and the 'message read' flags were wiped out. There isn't a live backup of the PMs to restore from and the best I had to repair by was a disk image from almost 2 weeks ago.

I used the old image to restore everything up to about 2 weeks ago so all of those older messages should all be fine, except if they were read in the last 2 weeks. If that's the case then the 'read' flag will have been set back to 'unread' and the recipient will get a 'new' message even though it's not. Just ignore those ghost new messages.

For the more recent messages where the recipient was permanently lost and couldn't be restored, I redirected them all back to the sender. This means that if you sent a PM recently and the recipient hadn't already read and removed it, it will appear as a new message back to you. The recipient may have already read it but there's no way to be sure, so if you want to be on the safe side copy/paste it into a new message to the original recipient again.

Sorry for the problems. Any questions let me know.

This is CABL.com posting #145902. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mL7q
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Private messages Admin 5/6/2005 12:12:00 PM
Re: Private messages redrocker80 5/5/2005 11:42:00 PM