Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What is transponder work?

All the replies here are on the money. It is the process of installing what is a "status monitor" unit. It allows the MSO to monitor the system from a remote site. They can monitor battery voltage, system levels, amp draw, etc. - even when a power supply door or lid to an active is opened!

I was working in Phoenix and was set up for a night cut, I was in position at 11:30 and opened the node up to get a look see as things were powered and if it matched the map. Not affecting the system mind you - just looking. Not two minutes later, I get a call from cox on my cell asking if I was starting my work early(eek) and to not take system down until midnight.

You can make some good $$ if like was said, they can keep you busy. I think the worst part is splicing in the DC to the system - many times this must be done at night. If they have to have it on a certain exact leg - that is the worst. Some places will allow you to splice it on any leg it will fit easily on. Every place will say "most are allready spliced in you should only have a few to do" - by now, you should know that most are not, and this can really affect your production.

You must also run coax from the DC or tap to the power supply. Most times it is RG6 but some places want a hardline ran.

Hope this helps in your decision - Good luck! hope you make some big bucks!

Vic
you need to have enough wisdom to keep from making the wrong decisions but enough courage to make the right ones
This is CABL.com posting #144990. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLSI
Posted in reply to: What is transponder work? by rdrner
There are 0 replies to this message