Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: illegals

Dear Router:

70% or more of all illegal hookups are caused by in house personnel and most of the time, it is not for any benefit but rather from poor management, apathy, and inefficiency.

Remember SATV? 18 years ago I was the one man marketing/installation guy for Prime Time Cable, based in Houston, and was responsible for sales and installation of their isolated 3000 passings scattered in 7 different apt complexes all over the DFW metroplex.

The area I inherited had 8% penetration of customers. I soon found out why. After I personally audited the entire areas, I found over 60% illegal hookups; mostly caused by a series of one man unspervised Techs that did coffee shop disconnects over a period of years and whose idea of curing MATV problems was to simply connect the entire building to Basic Cable, reducing servcie calls and giving him more time to drink beer. No locks on any of the boxes so had to politic to get ViewSonic locks and literally had to drill out holes in over 150 outside junction boxes to install the locks. Tech too busy writing C&W songs to help.

Penetration gradually went up to 40% over the next 3 years in an area where the regular cable company had an average of 20% penetration in surrounding areas at the time. It was a constant battle to police the boxes, even afer a rebuild was done.

Advice: You just have to keep at it. You will find that you can eliminate 90-95% of illegals all the time and the rest some of the time. Constant policing is the key.

Innovative Marketing
This is CABL.com posting #143987. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLCx
Posted in reply to: illegals by router
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: illegals lostlineman2 3/28/2005 1:46:00 AM