Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: AC voltage on in-house lines

I had a call once where there was virtually no ground at the customers house. Once every 2 weeks he would put a tc in for poor reception. Every time we went out there the jumper from the feeder (underground) to the tap was burnt up and melted. I advised him to pound a new ground rod into the ground to reground the electric in his house. He did so and it has been 3 months and no more trouble calls. Thats the scenario your describing.

With this other house, the cable is not being damaged in any way. It seems that once we disconnected the fittings at the ground block it released (for lack of better words) the voltage that was backfeeding from the tv set and the picture would clear up once the ground block was reconnected. The ground block, drop, inhouse and splitters were replaced at the second visit. The tv set pushing out the voltage was not there main tv either. It was in a spare bedroom and hardly ever used. It was actually turned off while the voltage was comming back.

The snowy picture this customer was not the typical snowy pic from low signal. Signal levels were great the whole time. It almost looked more fuzzy than snowy. I've never actually seen what "hum" can do to picture quality, but it is the only thing i did not have the resources to measure. I guess that's what it was.

Can voltage "build up" at the ground block and then be released when the fittings are taken off? That's the only thing i can think of. Maybe the voltage was much higher than 28 volts before the fittings were disconnected. Then the ground block was reconnected with lower voltage than before and the picture was clear? Does this make sence? (crazy)
This is CABL.com posting #143687. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLxH
Posted in reply to: Re: AC voltage on in-house lines by Emerger
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: AC voltage on in-house lines Splicer Life 4me 3/25/2005 1:08:00 AM