Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Meter Readings

The FCC stipulates that a minimum signal level of: 0dB be maintained at the subscriber’s ground block. With today’s number of subscriber’s outlets plus the minimum input levels for the customer premise equipment (Remember that in most of today’s HFC and PON architectures) turning out in the neighborhood of 862 MHz in digital frequencies et al. Plus the availability of high quality home amplifiers with full return path abilities, the signal levels can be lower at the ground block thus reducing the cost to deliver that signal to the home.

Most recently I put out a directive (deal) for the drop replacements/installation side of the house that a minimum of 5 dB be achieved at the ground block on Channels: 2, 117, and 165. I didn’t expect our drop contractors to have QAM meters to check the digital levels. This ground block requirement was for all RG-6, QR-320, and the occasional .625 drop. If the input signal levels fell below 5 dB, then it was brought back to design to figure out a solution if the obvious solution wouldn’t work i.e., replace a RG-6 drop with QR 320. By the way, RG-6 was used up to 175’, 176-350’ was QR-320, and .625 was used either for a very long drop or plant extension depending upon the link-loss and customer’s needs..
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #143079. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLnT
Posted in reply to: Re: radings on meters by Emerger
There are 0 replies to this message