Create your free account now! Sign up

Oh my god! Horsehair Plaster!

The best guy I ever saw at wall fishing was about 6'5" and so skinny, he could get his whole arm in a standard size outlet hole.
First time I saw it It freaked me out. Like a circus act! This guy had few extra tools, like a wet noodle (looks like a krazy straw with a chain, slide the chain down the straw and you can direct it in the cavity below the sill plate you just drilled.) and a crossbow for shooting string, all kinds of things I'd never seen before. Lots of glowsticks and homemade toys. Had a punch for wall plates, no saw, no dust. He made a minimum 3 grand a week. Had a new helper every week, but could beat two crews. A real dawg.

Those old buildings can really scare the snot out of you, can't they. We've all been dumb enough to put a sheetrock saw on horsehair plaster. I've used a cordless dremel, but boy what a mess.

Anybody tried to cut in a wallplate to find out they stapled the wire mesh to poured concrete? Patch it, Paint it, try again stupid.

Yeah I've got a few walleye kicking around, even dropped a few inside the hole I was scoping. Sweaty hands. Auto mechanics got a nifty tool, like a sewer camera but with a real small head. You can manipulate the tip and peer into an engine block through an open valve to see if you have damage, even scope out other parts. They're big bucks though, and even a gadget-loving guy like myself can't justify the cost.

Cablevision used to pay 3.00 bucks a foot to fish .625 hardline through sheetrock ceilings and walls, and you earned every dime. I got one dropped in my lap. Coordinator wanted it done right away, nothing else till thisl one's done. Everybody else tossed it because the old plant was rg11 and new hardline needed to be fished. The buildings had recessed cans every eight feet and steel trusses. I popped out a can, used the old rg11 as a pull string, and ripped it up! My best week ever, over 2000' of hardline plus the upgrades. Damn, I miss when cable was cable.

Tell you the truth, I'd rather fish than move my ladder. I'm just glad when the line is inside rather than out. But for 9 bucks a wall fish, they can stick it in their rear. $200 minimum just to get an electrician to your house.

Ah,,,,,,,Fishin.
This is CABL.com posting #142425. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLdl
Posted in reply to: Re: Wallfishing by SCcabledude
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Oh my god! Horsehair Plaster! SCcabledude 2/16/2005 11:31:00 PM