Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: one last ridiculous rant!

catvtony, I only wish I could.

I don't smoke, drink too much, clean driving record, good references, friends inside, I can do some headend work, fiber certified, not too dirty of a record (couple fights, hey I'm a cable guy) family man. I don't need benifits, and I'm willing to work for say, 15 an hour, which is not a lot to ask for someone working on billion dollar plant. All in all I'm a pretty good to perfect candidate for hire in my mind.

I live 1/4 mile away from the headend and Corporate office. I could walk to work from my house. Its a dream.

There are no jobs. No jobs. They will not hire a person with my experience. They will not hire a person with 10 times my experience. I know people who have been with "the man" for 30 years,ran sytem and rebuild, and once the rebuild was over, they were laid off. TOne told me he posted his resume 200 times inside for a job and wasn't even considered for anything. They only want you if you want 9 dollars an hour. If you'r used to more, they won't hire you because they know you won't be happy. I tried for 4 months. I couln't even take an install job for 8.50 an hour. They are cutting the ties with the past. Out with the old. I swear I have no other explaination.

I'm not bitter about that, you don't need as many mid-plant techs when you're only 5 actives deep, and the agc "works". Some nodes I cut for Adelphia were only one active. How hard is that to maintain? No more headends. What's left (what's hard) they just sub out to the lowest bidder. Some guys can make it, but I can't look to Comcast to take care of me.

Fiber is cool, and it hurts. That's life. Run lean, wait for what's next, and hold on to the ones you love. However, installs: don't get me started with installs.
This is CABL.com posting #141746. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mK2o
Posted in reply to: Re: one last ridiculous rant! by catvtony
There are 0 replies to this message