Create your free account now! Sign up

One more time. Let's do the $numbers$!

ok, some of you managers out there keep telling us that the only reason we installers aren't making enough money is because:

We suck.
We don't work hard enough.
We don't get there early enough.
We don't work late enough.
We don't work enough days.

Well, except for the Bush administration, the rest of the American workforce has accepted 40 hours as the standard work week.
In this little kernel is the golden reason why installation is built (at least in my area) around piecework.

get to the shop at 6 am
Done your last job at 4-5 pm.
work six days. That totals 60-70 hours

I have worked some weeks well into 100 hours. Try it- you will halucinate.

Ok, so take out all of those things that management says you have no right to do on "company" time.
Minus lunch (you can't pay yourself for taking lunch) or bathroom breaks (men have a time advantage here, sorry ladies it will never even out) or tying your shoe or an accident on the highway or the customer not home,,,,oh, I digress)

10 hours a week? thats a lot of pissing. But we all eat to and from the next job. And I can tie my shoes while waiting at the doorbell. so I'll give you six hours of goofing off a week.

so a good week is 60 hours, a bad week is 70.
$1000 check
-$60 for gas (mine's closer to $100)
-$57 for insurance required by comcast
-$50 for WHITE truck payment (fair deprieciation)
-$20 for tools and equipment not reibursed.
-7% fica tax (a real job pays this for you)
=$743 dollars before taxes.

So if you tell me if I bust my ass for 1000 bucks, you've really only paid me (the contractor) $743. So if you figure that to an hourly wage it comes to:
60 hr week is $9.28 an hour. For a tech with 14yrs experience
70 hr week is $7.43 an hour. for a tech with 14yrs experience

That's straight out of the MANAGER"S mouth.
Why don't you stick that in employee handbook.
This is CABL.com posting #139726. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKvO
Posted in reply to: Re: Can you really make money doing installs? by Dcableservices
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: One more time. Let's do the $numbers$! Bird Dog 11/26/2005 12:58:00 AM