Create your free account now! Sign up

The Graveyard Twc Myrtle Beach Sc

Although, I have many, friends, in the graveyard this is a story about a power supply graveyard. DanDanTheCableman will probably remember this one. It took place in Myrtle Beach, I was working for white mtn,for TWC about 8 years back. I was a splicer on the upgrade,but I did the power supplys, new ones and the removal of the old ones. This story is about the removal of the old ones. They had given me addresses on seventy some odd old power supplys too be removed, To me thats money on a tree waiting to be picked. Anyway , Don Kent was at that time project mgr. for the mtn. I asked Don where do you want me to put these things, we walked outside the warehouse, it was located off tenth st. in Myrtle Beach , he says just put them here, which was right outside the big warehouse door and entrance door. I said ok. Everybody was going home for thanksgiving. A four day weekend. I didn't go home I had my family come stay on the oceanfront with me. I ate my Turkey and went to work. I had one helper and my kids. I had to buy four extra hard hats. Anyway that weekend I took down 40 some odd power supplys, you know those three battery old green Lemco aluminin cased ones, I had to remove from the weatherhead to the meter base , everything, It didn't take long to get a system down, I made a bridal to wrap the cabinet so the batterys wouldn't fall out . I had a pulley mounted on my boom and a long tree cutters rope I would hook the rope to the bridal ,take my bell wrench and loosen the support bolt until the power supply was hanging far enough forward that I could get my dimaond saw in between the cabinet and the pole and cut the bolt in half, the man on the rope would have a wrap on the rope against my trailer frame to handle the initial drop, then he would walk it to the ground. My flat bed trailer would hold about 8 ps per trip, anyway by monday morning there were so many power supplys outside the warehouse door it looked like a power supply graveyard, I had left one little path to get into the entrance door. I can still see the look on that prick that was head man for TWC's face, you might remember him the one with the new white chevy truck and the sea ray boat, he would always walk past all the men in the warehouse and never smile or say hello, as if he was better than someone else, you see TWC's construction office was located above white mtns. there in the warehouse. This guy was fuming, he told Don he better get those things moved immediately. Don comes to me and says you got to move those things. I said how much are you going to pay me to move them . You told me where you wanted them. He said don't worry about it I'll get the warehouse guys to do it. It took them all day. TWC in Myrtle Beach has some great people, but they had a prick in charge back then ,I hope I made his day . I hope this story puts a smile on all the dog/dawgs faces that have ever been pis.sed off by management.
"WHITFIELD"(usa)(canada)(sunny)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #138868. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKhY
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: The Graveyard Twc Myrtle Beach Sc DanDanCableMan 11/27/2004 3:17:00 AM