Create your free account now! Sign up

Orlando

I've lived here in O'ville for close to 40 years now. Most of my cable career has been spent here as well. I've seen over the years tons of thunderstorm damage, lightining can really play hell and cause some curious damage to both aerial and underground plant. That kind of stuff is a given. We live in the lightining capitol of the world here in Central Fla. In July in one night there were over 18,000 recorded strikes. Imagine being on call for that!
Thunderstorms also occasionally create a phenomenon called "micro bursts" which can basically be described as a tightly compressed blast of downward wind, not a tornando, that slams to the ground and just hammers the landscape leaving damage behind that appears that a tornado might have touched down.
This summer we had a night of such storms that passed through the area ravaging an area just south of downtown.
Hurricanes arent usually a threat to this area. Most pass on either the east coast or go up through the Gulf of Mexico and torture the panhandle.
The last "real" hurricane (which was a category one) I can remember coming through Orlando was downgraded to a tropical storm after the eye made landfall on the coast close to Cocoa Beach.
The damage that year was minimal, more power outages creating the need for techs to "babysit" power supplies with generators or the invertors in our vans until the current draw taxed our equipment. Pain in the ass but easy overtime.
The pictures I've posted dont really depict the real horror that the area suffered. I chose not to go into the hardest hit areas and be a "tourist" as too many men and women are trying to do their job and the last thing they need is another "rubbernecker" stopping his truck to take pictures.
This is however the worst damage I've seen to Central Florida in my time here.
Again, luckily, I dont live further south. My heart goes out to the people having to pick up the pieces and literally rebuild their lives.
Anyway, I just felt the need to post a few pics of not-so-sunny Florida for the people that might be interested.
This is CABL.com posting #134569. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mJaD
Posted in reply to: Orlando storm damage by Dcableservices
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Orlando cable33 8/23/2004 10:12:00 PM