Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Can You Guys End This Argument? Not really.

Check the contract.

I have been on jobs where the MSO forgot to include any mention of grounding &/or bonding, usually due to the fact it was a retrofit/rebuild scenario & the MSO thought the exisiting VGRs were adequate.

When I was a subcontractor I made sure to get written or graphic specs.

As a splicer, the usual spec required me to carry K-1 weavers & make sure the equipment & EOL's were bonded & MAKE NOTE of missing VGRs.

Running a construction crew, usually we had to beat the rod in & run the copper up the pole {with moulding covering anywhere from 8' to the whole way up} leaving a coil @ Bell & a longer coil @ the CATV frame {basically enough to reach the power neutral}.

Back in the day {late 70's early 80's} there were Ground Rod & anchor/guying crews just to complete these tasks. The weapon of choice was a 25 lb {or heavier} block of iron welded to a 2" iron pipe.

On the last retrofit I managed {In 2002} the coax crews were reponsible for any new VGR placement & most of them used a Bosch or Hilti hammer drill to beat the rod in. The need for the VGR was identified by the MSO {& included as a line item in the general pricing, not an additional ala carte charge}, but the task was assigned by the prime contractor.

Shoot me an email or private message for more info,
kidwilliam"at"hotmail.com
You don't always get what you expect, but you know what you got when you inspect. Happiness comes from within, some poor souls are just without.
This is CABL.com posting #133216. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mIOO
Posted in reply to: Can You Guys End This Argument? by samtron2
There are 0 replies to this message