Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Nicked Ground Wire

Im not sure what you are grounding, poles or other ariel devices.
1st) Go buy, consult-read your local applicapable chapter of the NEC book.

I have always learned that the surface area under the spread tension of the grounding device is really the key element of providing supression for either static drain or power drain, and NOT that a nicked cable is a direct flaw. I imagine your situation is not so dissimular.

Look at the situation like this- if you had, let us say, a 4 guage twisted copper ground- securing it is a knuckle-kourney etc. - if enough surface area is established from said ground point "A" to earth or power- it is very unlikely a small circular knick would impede any resistance for the purpose OF ground unless the actual cable thickness became an ussue because of lost strands or otherwise proved with a meter. Someone has probably tried to break thier finger pulling thier head out or the other end on this one ding against you.

Examples, one might ask?

Spark Plugs
Cable Barrels
Telephone scotch or bean connectors

All of these share loss of contact with the power source because the total potential of the cable being used is only brushed, touched or otherwise "not really covering all of the surface area" for your poor ground.

I used to have to replace 4 OT wire runs for large dry xformers because the QC guy saw a knife cut or abrasion in the line at the
splice/contact end.

Like I said, get the book, and shove it where the sun don't need to shine.

Good luck.
NS
This is CABL.com posting #133210. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mIOI
Posted in reply to: Nicked Ground Wire by strandmapper
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Nicked Ground Wire rag1 7/25/2004 3:17:00 PM