Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: safety

We have all heard the phrase at one time or another "Well just crowd power" What they are really telling you is to put your health at risk. And being the common cabledawg......you know that if you dont go and do it they will find some schmuck dumb enough to climb up into power and do it anyway. Very few cable companies know what pre-construction make-ready is. They just what you to throw it in the air. Safety has never been a real concern.
Everyone knows the 40" rule. But did you know its not 40" from power's attachment but 40" from the lowest power in the climbing space. This is usually the bottom of the Secondary driploop. Also communications must maintain 75% of that clearance (30") at the mid-span.
I've seen alot of rebuilds where stuff is strung banjo tight and less than a foot between communications & power in midspan.

They might have done it to get road clearance instead of turning it in for make-ready. Cause you know that the MSO's dont want to pay that extra to do things right.

Power companies around the nation are finally waking up and realizing all the hazards that CATV has created and are calling for safety audits to be done on thier plants. (I know because those safety audits are what I do) Then the power companies are requiring the MSO's to bring thier plant up to proper safety codes or vacate the poleentirely. Sometimes this takes court orders.

What that will create for all the old cabledawgs out there is work repairing all the years of mis-built plant but please just remember to do everything safely and do not create another hazard when repairing one. Who knows.........it may just be YOUR life you save.
Of course that's just my opinion.... I could be wrong
This is CABL.com posting #131388. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mIlk
Posted in reply to: safety by woodhook
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: safety DONE RIGHT 5/27/2004 6:04:00 PM