Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Ok Bucket Boys, Who Makes The Best B-Truck

I have an '89 GMC 3500 with an '81 versalift and it has been very good to me so far, but I am getting ready to replace the wiring harnesses on it... waiting for UPS as I type this.

I think it all depends on how well you take care of a vehicle. I have seen chevys go 350,000 miles and others not make it to 100k. personally, I like GM's they are easier and cheaper to work on - don't be fooled, ANY vehicle will require work.

I would suggest checking the auctions for repoed rigs... and if you are doing construction, get a T40. if you are putting up like two spans a week though, you could get by with a smaller boom - check into the articulating Altecs. They have a 42'-47' reach... mighty handy.

It seems that the Telstas endure pretty well and probably are the favorite for most, but a LOT of versi's are still running strong.

Try to get one that is 4x4 I had no idea how much I would use it until I had it. I would also go with a desiel, mine is a small block injected gas and does very well - I only use a half (10 gals) tank a day and it idles all day long. I believe the smallblock/ TH400 automatic is the best combo out there unless you will be towing. It has enough power to go 80 on the freeway (little sluggish in the mountains though) but not so much power that it puts extra wear on the drivetrain and ends up lasting in the long run. I would not own another truck that is manual shift - major PITA.

Any route you take new or used - I believe proper maintinence is the key.

Hope this all helps,

Vic
you need to have enough wisdom to keep from making the wrong decisions but enough courage to make the right ones
This is CABL.com posting #129957. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHYf
Posted in reply to: Re: Ok Bucket Boys, Who Makes The Best B-Truck by KCcableRAT
There are 0 replies to this message