Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: how many yrs

I was 23 and collecting unemployment in NY. Had to go to 3 job interviews that they picked for me to get my check (times have changed huh?). Had no problem not getting hired - wasn't looking for a job that summer. They sent me to an installation contractor. He asked me if I liked making good money, if I was afraid of heights, and if I had a good pair of boots. And he hired me.
I turned out to be good at it - running drops, drilling holes in people's houses, and drinking beer with the other maniacs on the crew. I was the only one that wasn't a convicted felon.
Bounced around the northeast for a few years and got a gig doing splicing and activation in Boston. Got respect from the construction crews after spending a winter doing lots of heavy drinking with the strand crew.
Learned to sweep with the Avantec on 25+ amp cascades. Built a few Head Ends. Activated plant in every major city from Boston to Brooklyn and most of the nice suburban/rural running in-between.
Night retro in Newark. Winter in Montauk. Summer in the South Bronx. And last fall in the Bed Stuy easements.
Been through the fat times and ran like hell.
Been through the lean times and always found work.
It's a five to seven year cycle.
Now here we are 25 years later. This began yesterday. And so long ago I can't remember all the motel rooms and crash houses and hangovers.
I've always stood behind every job I did. The easiest way to do it is right the first time. My number is on the amp sheet and the trace. That's my rep and my future.
Am I a dawg? The only one who really needs to know already does.

This is CABL.com posting #129938. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHXW
Posted in reply to: Re: how many yrs by splicer57
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: how many yrs Corky the Splicer 4/16/2004 8:12:00 AM