Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: how many yrs

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular and perhaps it has already been covered in this thread.

I find it amusing that the classification of "dawg" is only associated with "x" amount of years in the industry. I was only in cable for about seven years and saw enough dawgs (by this definition) who were no more than useless slugs. I met several who considered themselves dawgs because of their time of service and expected to be treated like royalty or a Nobel prize winner. I have never felt the need to search for acceptance so I could have cared less where I would fit into that twisted version of a hierarchy. I would be perfectly happy at the bottom of that food chain as long as the check clears.

I have seen mention of respecting people only after they have ample time in the field. I got into the industry to make money, not friends. The last thing I was worried about is if a drunk illiterate junkie "respected" me. Hell, I would have been semi-impressed if half of them could spell the word respect.

Don't get me wrong, I was fortunate enough to meet and work with a lot of great people who, with their experience, showed me how to do the job right. But to base this on just the amount of time a person had in the industry is a joke.

Where I come from respect is something that is earned by your actions, personality and how you conduct your life. Not just by being there for a long time.

To those who have been in the industry for a better part of their lives and do the job well, my hats off to for making an honest living doing something you enjoy.

Thanks for reading my rant, have a great day.

This is CABL.com posting #129887. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHW7
Posted in reply to: Re: how many yrs by Joe50
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: how many yrs tom59 4/15/2004 11:54:00 AM
Re: how many yrs oldschoolgal 4/14/2004 3:35:00 PM