Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Whats up here (background fees)

I saw that Bill003 mentioned it again and it was a hot topic for a while so I did some digging. As far as the fee for the background check, it is not unreasonable to have to pay that much money to a private company to do a complete background check. Everyone, myself included, gave examples of how cheap it is in other situations. For those who paid the funds, if it makes you feel better this is why.

Gun permits, FID, License to Carry or whatever your state calls them all require checks for criminal records. Who is doing that check? Law Enforcement Agencies. It doesn't cost them anymore to do one or one thousand. It is there at their disposal. Your gun permit fees are basically clerical and filing fees. Unless you live here in Massachusetts and you get porked real hard on fees.
I am fortunate in the fact that if I need a basic criminal check or driving history for myself I can do it for free by making a few calls. Large corporations can't do that.

Background checks for sensitive positions.
This was my comment. (to be fair I'll criticize myself) I paid very little money to get background checks on potential employees. There were two reasons for this. #1- I contributed to a national data base whenever I submitted my monthly apprehension and arrest reports. #2- We, as a whole, basically bought in bulk. Sometimes doing thousands every year.

Now, I am also assuming that FOS or its agents are not only doing criminal checks. They may also be doing credit history checks. It costs them money for every credit history report as well. Credit Histories are quickly becoming a large part of pre-employment screening.

They may also have to check sex offender registries, Department of Revenue lists (child support enforcement), and who knows how many other lists. Will you be driving a vehicle in another country? They need that history as well.

Also, as MeatGrinder stated when this thread first started. This is for a position out of the country. It certainly requires a more in depth check than if you were applying as the greeter at your local Wal-Mart.

Sorry this was so long. But I checked into it for kicks and wanted to give some of you a little reassurance that they weren't making big dollars off of your background check.
This is CABL.com posting #127952. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHrU
Posted in reply to: Re: Whats up here by Bill003
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Whats up here (background fees) Sorvo 3/16/2004 9:59:00 AM
Re: Whats up here (background fees) ps Corky the Splicer 3/11/2004 3:52:00 PM