Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Too many splicers no parts

It's probably because of the so called "magic mile" where mso's let venders estimate how many passives & actives it takes to build a mile of plant. Ask TVC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now this is an interesting statement to say the least. From my experiences - at the beginning of a project we take a good sample of the design and its bill of materials (BOM) to create a first round forecast for the fiscal year's operations. Now, what separates the men from the boys is to continually reforecast your numbers every 90 days or so until either you get it right or have completed the project.

From the operator's point of view (And once again speaking from my experiences) we continually forecast the labor and materials needs and make sure that we hit the wholly grail of materials management i.e., when the project is over you balance out and zero out all materials to be flush with materials on hand vs. budget. Typically, the way I have been successful is to put the burden of responsibility onto the shoulders of the Primes. Most times I'll get the Prime to be financially responsible for all excess stock down to the freekn' bug nut.

Additionally, there's something to say about padding the materials needs. We all know to well that productivity schedules never are perfect and reflect the peaks and valleys of day-to-day operations. For instance, when forecasting a three-year build on the east coast I'll use three and one half fair weather days per (five-day) week for production. Then I back into the labor and materials needs. Then, I'll bump it up 10% for the first couple of quarters. Last February we had only three days of production due to inclement weather and road restrictions set by the local department of transportation etc.

I've digressed again....
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #124486. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mGx0
Posted in reply to: Re: Too many splicers no parts by Terrasweep
There are 0 replies to this message