Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Too many splicers no parts

Gents:

I'd be more interested in the MSO's materials and warehousing functions as apposed to CCG practicing the ole' bait and switch routine.

I would suspect that the min/max software used by the operator as opposed to their stock to dock purchasing arrangements is the culprit. I have seen this phenomenon happen all too often across most lines of industry when doing this. Remedy:

I'd consider going to the CCG folks to find out exactly what's going on as far as materials and their availability.

I'd even go so far as to strongly urge CCG to offer up a "Turnkey" operation to assist with their material shortages. Let CCG provide some of the materials to keep production on track.

I have personally witnessed operator’s transition from a "Three -turn" annual inventory to a "nine-turn" system. The initial transition can get extremely shaky if the operator doesn't have their proverbial S
S**T together. If this is the reason for the hic-cup on materials I'm sure that it will fan out in due course.

The main reason why the operator has chosen to do this type of materials management is to cut down the inherent expense of handling all these items. For instance, if an operator is churning out $1,000,000 a year in materials spread over three main shipments (stock to dock from the manufacturer) it typically costs the operator in the neighborhood of 24% of the total value of the materials in added handling expense per year. So, that $1m per year really costs the operator $1.25m per year.

By re-defining the operational and expense structure of materials management and using a nine-turn (45 day) per year method this does a couple of things: First, it reduces the value of idle stock in their warehouse. Second, by having a lower value of stock on hand the handling percentage charged off to this idle stock is greatly reduced thus contributing greatly (In the right direction) in the operator's Profit & Loss (P&L) monthly statement.

The downside of this is that the materials management staff must analyze and evaluate on a daily basis the usage report on materials and communicate effectively to the parts manufacturer.

In some cases, deals have been worked out where a parts vendor EXAMPLE ~ Comscope would have ready for immediate shipment via 48hrs, a truck load of coax in the event the operator miss-judged the supply and demand. The same can be true for all other manufactures e.g., SA, Motorola, Gilbert, etc.....This will fill in the delivery gaps that in the long run, effect productivity.

These relationships are made to protect the operator's best interest. Anyway, I digress........

Zoots.(pimp)

Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #124456. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mGxw
Posted in reply to: Re: Too many splicers no parts by Bill003
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Too many splicers no parts-Kudos to Zoots. Animal AKA Will 12/17/2003 9:19:00 AM
Re: Too many splicers no parts CABLE LIFE 12/16/2003 11:35:00 AM