Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Are you getting paid what your WORTH?

I would have to agree with alot of the comments here. Satellite installers are getting paid less, so with that quality suffers. These are mainly Independant contractors(some are hacks) that can go get a contract doing installs. Good or bad that's how hard it is to get a job putting in satellites. Cable on the other hand is a bit more difficult. One cannot just run up to Time-Warner, Adelphia, Comcast, Cox or whomever the provider may be and say "I can install cable when can I start?" . They are put through the hoops to make sure they inderstand the importance of thier job. When I used to sub-contract cable installs and sales we were held to a quality standard and if that standard was breached we got charged back for the whole job. It didn't matter if it was the wrong type of fitting, no bug plug, no brady marker, whatever we got charged back. A hack couldn't make it there b/c these systems do thier own Q/C and they handle chargebacks. Satellites on the other hand are sold by someone somewhere and the orders filter through several "install brokers" before it actually gets to someone that can install a dish. By this time the person doing the job makes beans and feels like it is unworthy of his best work, b/c the pay is unworthy of his best work.
This all being said, cable is held to higher standards than satellite. I personally am a satellite installer, but i have done both sides. When we go out to a customers house we want to do the job and go on to the next so we can make a decent wage. The customers always want the "little extras" for no charge(like the cable companies do, or very little). We are there to do a basic install and that is all I will do if there is no money swapping hands. Mount dish to existing structure, route up to 125 ft of cable to tv/receiver, ground to nec specs, and activate system. Hooking up to home theater(extra), running a slave(extra), fishing walls(extra), anything over one story(extra), attic work(extra). I am not saying screw the customer, but more than likely they got the equpment for free, and no matter what you get in society these days nothing is free. Kinda looooong winded but thats just my perspective.
This is CABL.com posting #121140. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mFF2
Posted in reply to: Are you getting paid what your WORTH? by goinbroke
There are 0 replies to this message