Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Add Internet Service to a 550 MHz network

Some basic questions.....first do you have a forward channel available to insert a forward carrier? The modem sees this as the downstream signal. It is not really necessary to upgrade your system to 750mhz. just to add Internet services that call is yours. You may want the additional bandwidth for Digital services however. Forward bandwidth is not as critical as your return spectrum. 5mhz up to 45-55mhz.
You will need to add return path modules in your actives, (Amps/LE's)...note if you need to add return modules to your actives make sure you diplex the maximum spectrum available for future services...I.E. 5-45mhz is better than 5-30mhz. Got fiber? You will need return path transmitters installed in each node as well and return receivers to reach your CMTS....both coax and fiber return signals should be combined again near the CMTS with a general input to the CMTS of 0 to 3db....another note.....check your return spectrum for noise and pick the cleanest areas of the spectrum....my system runs two channels 31mhz and 34mhz but freq allocation may vary depending on the system. Several CMTS units will scan for a clear channel....of course it's not as easy as it sounds but once operational it can be a good money maker...be sure to add sub-band traps to all non-internet subscribers and hve the system swept both forward and return. Proper levels and unity-gain are very important. I would suggest you find a consultant or a sound support company to help you steer through your implimentation.
There can be many unforseen problems that only experianced people can resolve....and finally get enough bandwidth on your outbound circuits....DON'T RUN OUT OF BANDWIDTH!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll be sorry I promise!! Anyway don't be swayed to cut costs...the dip **** people I worked for in the past tried that and It blew up in their face...hehe "justice"!! Any more questions email me (-REDACTED-) luck!
This is CABL.com posting #110383. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mCSx
Posted in reply to: Add Internet Service to a 550 MHz network by Diogenes
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Add Internet Service to a 550 MHz network Diogenes 6/26/2003 5:53:00 PM