Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: In house construction

Aerial -
Prior to our upgrade we had 27 field personnel in our aerial construction department. The folks handled all traditional deployment of new; rebuild; relocation, special projects, and transfers et al. When the upgrade started we transitioned all but seven of these folks over to the upgrade team where their wisdom and experiences lent itself to a higher level of quality when inspecting or resolving all types of construction issues.

Additionally, it provided career path development for those who wanted to try new things as they related to our business. Some have been promoted to foremen, supervisory, and management positions. Others changed to either the HSD, Utility coordination, Field Administration, or the eventual Telephony side of the business. For the rest, they regrouped with the remaining seven and though they physically perform less work (Most of which is still contracted out) i.e., On-call, small projects, and transfer work.

When the upgrade is finally completed (Sometime this millennium-HA) these folks will be rotated back into day-to-day business.

Underground -
Many years ago we had our own in-house underground crews and equipment. It didn't take to long to figure out the economics of rate vs. volume to rid us of this and contract out 100% of the underground. The proof lies in the results. More work, quality work, and easier work to manage than before.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong DM

(smokin) - what's this guy smokn' anyway...
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #101686. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mACg
Posted in reply to: In house construction by gwink
There are 0 replies to this message