Create your free account now! Sign up

Duplicate posts

Over the past few weeks I've been getting more strict on the duplicate posting rule. Several people have not been happy about this, but there are many reasons why it's being done. I will continue to monitor and remove duplicate posts so please follow the rule in this regard.

The rule is, "A message MAY NOT be repeated unless a period of at least 6 months has passed since the last. If an item remains unsold or a job open after at least 7 days, then it is permissible to post a reply to the original message to bring the thread back to the top"

It's not OK to delete the original and re-post every day or week. That's not what the rule allows.

Why it's important to not post duplicates:

1. It is unnecessary. Once posted, the ad remains available for people to see indefinitely.

2. It is annoying. Once someone has read an ad, they shouldn't be forced to see it again. Some people only log on once a week or less frequently. They shouldn't have to wade through several duplicates of each ad to make sure they see every one.

3. It's confusing. Someone may have already responded to the first post then a couple days later see another and think it is a different item. On the other hand, if people get accustomed to seeing duplicates then they may pass over different ads assuming they're the same when they're not.

4. It starts an "I want to be in front" battle where everyone re-posts their ad every day just so it stays on the first page.

5. It punishes the people who do follow the rules because their single ad falls out of the top faster.

6. It is wasteful of data bits transferred, which I have to pay for, when people are seeing the same thing more than once.

7. It is wasteful of server resources, which again I have to manage and pay for, when duplicates pad the database.

8. If forces earlier archiving to get the database down to manageable size. This limits the time back messages are available for searches, thereby cutting off information which would otherwise still be availble.

9. It's inconsiderate of other people who have to read ads or have their own ads that must compete for attention.

10. It's my site so I get to make any rules I want, however arbitrary, and insist that they be followed.

Thank you.

This is CABL.com posting #100617. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mAk1
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Duplicate posts sccsinc 3/22/2003 9:05:00 AM
Re: Duplicate posts rockitman 3/12/2003 5:29:00 AM
Members only procomm inc 3/11/2003 12:46:00 PM
Re: Duplicate posts Dusty 3/11/2003 7:11:00 AM
Re: Duplicate posts line runner 3/11/2003 6:40:00 AM
Re: Duplicate posts nanosecond 3/10/2003 8:52:00 PM