Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Florida Crackin down in Sat and Cable contract

The state contractor license does require proficiency testing, though it is open book. I am not exactly sure on the ES, but for an EF, or EG license, which is Alarm, as well as all low voltage under 70v, the test covers applicable sections of the NEC, and general business law, tax matters, contract content. The application fee is $350.00 if I remember right. Many people choose to take the private run contractor training prep classes which can cost anywhere from $500. and up.

If you go to the trouble, and have the experience and ability to get a license, most likely you will evolve out of cable installation, and into a more diverse and complex business model. i.e, Bidding on commercial wiring jobs for audio, data, access control, cameras, or get into MDU post wiring.

Anyway, I would agree with previous post that likely, most companies will go employee base, with one license holder to cover all employees. You could be lucky though and get your license and then get paid a monthly fee to be listed as the license holder for a particular company, and get choice work as well.  A rare but possible situation.
This is CABL.com posting #308109. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbsjF
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Florida Crackin down in Sat and Cable contract contract0r 7/26/2010 5:40:13 PM
Re: Florida Crackin down in Sat and Cable contract sbcaswmtech 7/25/2010 11:56:47 PM