Create your free account now! Sign up

Looking for advice on big plow / trencher

HI All,

Have an opportunity to do a fair amount of mainline plowing work (supposedly over 9000 feet on one job with others to follow) for the local phone company (they are installing fiber mainline.....conduit appears to be 1.25 inch diameter that needs to go in 30" deep...clay type soil / some rocks).

Currently I mainly do drop bury work but looking to do more for them hopefully become their go to guy for jobs.

Anyways, my largest machine so far is a DW 410 with weights....I believe I can but a 36" chute blade for this machine through the aftermarket BUT and get the 30" but the project coordinator seems to think this is a no go and told me to get a bigger machine if I wanted the job.

So, with that I have been researching used machines and was looking for input as to what you think would be the recommended set up / size machine for this mainline work.

I think I need at least a  "5" series machine like the DW 5010 or case 560....  But under the theory that bigger is better I have also looked at a dw 6510 and a case 760....how big should I go?....I guess bigger would mean faster and potentially deeper BUT is it possible to go too big / heavy?

What are your thoughts on the DW VS case situation....I know it may be like askimg if a chevy is better than a ford or dodge BUT I'd reallly like to get a feel for what is the best bang for the buck....Also since I will be getting a used / older machine I would like to know how each may be in terms of parts cost and parts availablity / maintenace issues and  weak points / strengths? Any inpt on these machines would be appreciated (NOTE: I didn't really include anything from the vermeer line since I have found so few units of them online).

Lastly, does anybody here know the actual weights of the various machines?....I have a hard time finding any data on this and most of the numbers I have seev nary so much I am wondering if the posters really knew or were just guessing.

I currently only have 7K rated landscape trailers so I realize I will have to get another trailer probably no matter which way I go (been looking at a 14K minimum rated trailer but may go all in and get a 12T  trailer since I also have a backhoe that I currently cant move myself...may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone since I'll need a bigger tyrailer anyways to move the bigger trencher / plow....I plan on pulling with a cummins powered dually pick up).

Thanks in advance for any and all input on this.

Andrew
This is CABL.com posting #365769. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbHjF
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Looking for advice on big plow / trencher massive coax 2/24/2015 8:00:21 PM
Re: Looking for advice on big plow / trencher earthmover 2/21/2015 10:59:48 AM
Re: Looking for advice on big plow / trencher kblman2020 2/16/2015 7:11:57 AM