Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Return Path

Very true Gary.  In 95/96 timeline, Mike Woodward and I started sweeping return in Willow Grove, Pa..  Used a Jerrold 10-8 as a combiner in the hub site.  Set it all up, looked at return sweep and you all know what we saw.  Figured it out, self-terminating does not mean self-terminating.  What I was looking for in this post, was what have you all seen while sweeping the affects that a blown terminator or blown self-terminating tap (assuming all ports are terminated with 75 ohm locking terminators).  There is a run in the systems I am working that is dropping the return 8-10 db which rises the modem output and eventually knocks them offline.  I have swept this run twice and there is not a thing in the traces to indicate an issue anywhere.  This might last 15 minutes or couple hours and then everything returns to normal.  In tracking it back, one time you will see it at say amp 5 in cascade, 4 is fine.  The next time it is happening at 4 too.  One time I saw it happen at 6 and 5 was fine.  When it is going on like I said, return sweep drops and ends up looking like raw sweep forward.  I saw this the other day while sweeping.  When return sweep came up I knew had blown terminator.  Went to eol, looked at sweep and it looked like raw, replaced terminator and issue fixed.  This got me wondering could a terminator be causing that intemidant problem.  Any thoughts or has someone seen same.  Appreciate all input. 
This is CABL.com posting #359466. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFF0
Posted in reply to: Re: Return Path by GMuth
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Return Path GMuth 12/22/2013 9:10:50 AM