Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Sub of a sub . paid when paid and other issues

I disagree with what you're saying completely. I am a sub contractor of a large prime who hires other sub's to work under me. Obtaining a good portion of the work in progress is achieved by numbers in most situations (i.e. 6 splicers and 2 aerial crews vs just one splicer begging for a run). That is the main benefit as to what I am doing. Of course, I don't round up a bunch of people I don't know and don't know their cable history and associate myself with contractors who have a bad reputation.

I have always said that those companies who sub from a prime looking to make a profitable business out of subbing out their work is absolutely ridiculous.

Sub rates from the primes are generally all garbage to begin with, but can be made to work when the work is handed down in volume.

I pay out most of what I'm getting, but make enough to cover operating expenses like the ridiculous insurances they require you to have to work for the prime. I keep my group small but large enough to do something and have other resources to call when needed. I don't make money money off the guys, instead I get established in order to make that long money, the money that keeps coming steadily. You will be heard when you have SEVERAL contractors working on the same team (company) who do consistent, good work.

My idea of subcontracting like I have said above is to have an established group where you can have somewhat of an advantage by providing resources of a larger scale as well as the capability to have other types of crews under the same company. A trusted group who has a proven track record will most likely have a better portion of the work handed down as well as other types of work because primes like major cable companies rather deal with a group rather than several or a few hundred individuals. The bigger the better, the more you can do the more valuable you can become.

This is CABL.com posting #321492. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbvNw
Posted in reply to: Re: Sub of a sub . paid when paid and other issues by MicroMan
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Sub of a sub . paid when paid and other issues digitalphonemike 2/7/2011 7:55:01 PM